Friday, May 22, 2009


As a child, even among children lacking in all distinction, I stood out as a child lacking in more distinction than all the rest.

As a young teenager I was very well behaved until I met one of my best friends Sarah.

As an older teenager I managed to get into as much trouble as possible.

As an early 20 something year old I entered Leeds University, where I learned to tolerate a few spoilt fools, make a messy fool of myself and make a mess in chemistry a lab.

I met Gareth and Phil eight years ago among a large group of great friends who all share a common love of good music, good times, travelling and story telling.

After successfully lowering myself into extreme depths of poverty through earning a degree I worked as a business training officer in Leeds City.

Noticing that office life, with its regimented tea breaks and excitement over the new brand of instant crap coffee being placed in the vending machine, was just not enough, I decided to rectify the situation and moved to Osaka, Japan.

Dotonbori Canal Namba Osaka
View on my street in Osaka, Japan

Living slap bang in the middle of a hard-boiled neon sin city, surrounded by ‘Blade Runner-esque' characters and scenery, I nurtured my love of observations, social experiments, writing and photography.

After three years of awe inspiring concrete jungle it came to my attention that the stars in Osaka could have been wiped out of the sky years ago and nobody would have noticed. I desperately needed to smell the grass, gaze at stars and see the horizon again.
Dotonbory
Osaka, Japan

Travelling to practice my photography skills, a passion, I headed out to Australia to really cap off my inability to save money by completing the oddball ‘As Cheeky as you Can’t’ adventure and write a book about the eight and a half months of living without funds in a modern world.

DSC_5347

My main hobby is to work my way through a "Things to do before I die" list, an extremely long list that I compiled a number of years ago. I'm doing well but the list keeps getting longer. I like to try most things once, although there are a number of things I will never do again, such as: eating sea urchin; drinking 20/20; a somersault attempt; the boxing day dip (running into the North sea on Boxing day after being hosed down by a fireman); wearing a G string whilst riding a camel; climbing mount Fuji,......... There are a number of surprising things I'd love to do again: eating bread which was cooked directly on a pile of blazing cow poo; walking on hot coals; scrubbing the deck of a sailing vessel; waking up to the sound of a monkey having very loud sex...........And there are a number of things I don't ever want to do again but have no choice in, such as: the tea ceremony; going to work; eating healthily; ironing; dusting; sitting through boring speeches; watching people eat with their mouths open; cleaning toilets the way my mother once lovingly taught me............. The next thing on my list is write a book.

Incidentally, I had never added 'Give up all my possessions and travel 25,000kms starting with nothing but a bin bag' to my list. Sometimes things just slip though and find themselves at the top of a list of priorities without my sanity having a chance to protest.


Think at your own pace
My old room mate, the lovely Jamie, posing in front of the train station I travelled too and from everyday to work, for three years

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A writer, photographer and explorer. May your travels never end.